I left my appetite in Kyoto

1:17 PM

My food adventure in Japan continues as I travel to Kyoto. This is where I left my appetite. Let me share with you a list of must goes.


Nishiki Market
So I mentioned in my previous post about going to Nishiki Market. Upon dropping off my bags at my accommodation, I went straight for the Nishiki Market (http://www.kyoto-nishiki.or.jp/) for food, as this market closes at 6PM daily. And trust me, you don't want to miss the world for the food there. I certainly was not disappointed. From the takoyaki, to the fresh seafood, and the amazing green tea ice cream with mochi, I was in food heaven (and a food coma afterwards, but it was worth it!)

Ordering takoyaki at this stand was quite interesting. As a customer, you have to insert coins into a machine, similar to a vending machine, where you will then choose what kind of takoyaki you would like to consume. Upon selection, a ticket with a number will be printed. This ticket contains your order number and you will get your portion when the vendor mentions this number. Pretty neat, I think.


Unlimited seafood! It does come with a price tag, but a good price tag. Everything tasted so good. Just looking at the fresh seafood row after row. Who can resist? And that sea urchin, it was the best one I ever had in a big dish like that. It's definitely an experience!


As shown in the picture, this ice-cream with mochi is only 480 yen! nom nom nom, how can I resist?


I also saw these stands everywhere in Kyoto, so I thought I gave it a try. It was the best non-sweeten soy bean drink I ever had. If you are all about healthy eating, this drink is highly recommended.


Fushimi Inari Taisha
Fushimi Inari Taisha also has amazingly delicious foods. While it did take about 45 to 60 minutes to get up to these few vendors, it was a trip well worth it!

Kitsune udon, also known as fox udon is a vegetarian dish consist of tofu and udon in a miso broth. Kyoto, if you don't know already is known for its tofu. So if you happen to head up the Fushimi Inari Taisha anytime soon, you definitely need to try this!


After a nice meal, desserts are definitely to follow. Mochi with Japanese brown sugar and syrup. Too good to be true. Mochi are made from rice and it's so chewy and delicious. And apparently consuming mochi is the highest leading cause of death! (so remember to chew before you swallow!)


Finally to end it all, some traditional soy bean ice cream to refresh myself before heading back down hill for more attractions and food.


Gion 
While Gion is known for where geisha roam, there are also delicious food too! I was able to find a small ramen stand, that was pretty packed, but delicious. A good way to end off the night.


I was also very lucky to find these grilled mochi along the streets. I wasn't suppose to take a picture, but the foody me who puts her camera before all her food cannot resist. Brown sugar, brown sugar syrup with grilled mochi, the best combo to end the night.


And if all these food aren't enough for you, while you are in Kyoto, you should definitely try all the ice cream you can! You will be surprised what is in store.

Green tea, pumpkin, macadamia nut, tofu, black sesame, yuzu, soy bean, coffee, roasted green tea, and sake flavours! Who can resist?


Thanks Kyoto, you were good to me. Thanks for getting me full and fat all the time. LOL

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *