Uji in the Rain

8:19 AM

It’s been probably exactly two years since I’ve been to Uji, and it is still as quiet and pleasant as I remember. In this post, I hope to share with you additional attractions and places that I did not get a chance to go to last time (

2 years ago). Thankful for my family bearing with me, when I told them about this place and we must go for authentic green tea experience.


Green Tea Ceremony in Taiho-an
First off, I want to thank my cousin who is working in Japan right now for helping my family and I to make a reservation at Taiho-an for our very first green tea ceremony experience. The last time I was here, the place was fully booked, and we were unable to check it out. Instead I only got to try this cup of green tea at the tourist center….


To start off, we got this really cute pastry dough thing that cleanse our palette for a fully green tea experience.


Our server than prepared our green tea with this pot of hot water and a special whisk just for matcha to create the traditional green tea as part of the authentic green tea ceremony experience.


The green tea was amazing. It had the color of a green tea latte (without the milk) and while it had the taste green tea, it also had a hint of sweetness. The tea itself was not watered down which I assumed would, as it was just pure matcha powder and hot water.


And thanks to my mom who took this photo of me at the end in this matcha ceremonial room.


Uji Shrine
Next off, after the ceremony experience, my family and I venture in the rain to the Uji Shrine. It’s actually my first time here, as I never ventured this far the last time I was in Uji. By far, I actually meant like a 10 minute walk across the bridge.


I really like this shrine! Not sure what this shrine is about, but it has a cute rabbit in the middle. And I’m also not sure why people ring the bell at the shrine, but I did it anyways. Maybe it’s good luck! (Yes! I get a year of good luck).


And what I LOVE about this shrine most was the leaves that were still intact on the trees. And the silhouette of the Japanese maple against the cloudy yet bright sky, it was beautiful.


Byodoin Temple
Following the short detour to the Uji Shrine, was the long awaited visit to the Byodoin Temple. The Byodoin Temple is a striking example of Buddhist Pure Land architecture. And together with its garden, the temple actually represents the Pure Land Paradise and was influential on later temple construction. Did you know this temple dates back to 998!?! as a countryside retreat villa for the powerful politician Fujiwara no Michinaga, not as a temple!

It was Michinaga’s son who turned this place into a temple by ordering the construction of its most spectacular feature, the Phoenix Hall. This hall is now featured on the back of the Japanese ten yen coin!

Did you know, the Byodoin’s buildings were repeatedly lost to fires and other calamities over the centuries? However, the Phoenix Hall was never destroyed, making it one of the few original wooden structures to survive from the Heian Period. Going to stop with the facts here before I bore all of you with history. Below is a snapshot of the Byodoin Temple from a few different angles the day I went. 


Can you imagine how pretty this place would be in spring with cherry blossoms on the side? Sigh, I think I need to go back in the spring time.

Green Tea Meal in Nakamura Tokichi

My long awaited meal at Nakamura Tokichi. Last time I came to Uji, I wasn’t able to eat here because it was over an hour wait. This time, I got lucky! So here it is, my full green tea meal at Nakamura Tokichi


Oh and how can I forget the sweets before leaving Uji! Yes, I needed my fixes of ice cream!


Last but not least, I got carried away in the rain and had a bit too much fun with my sister at Uji. It’s been a while we went on a trip together.


I always thought the Japanese were very clever to invent clear umbrellas because it won’t obstruct the scenery in the back… I guess I was wrong. LOL.

Stay tune for my next post as I continue to travel through mainland Japan!

xoxo,
D

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *