5 Must-Try Food in Okinawa

1:46 PM

How can a vacation be complete without any mention of food?! Continuing from my last post, Okinawa Adventures, I am going to talk about all the great food I had while I was in Okinawa, Japan and how different the food in Okinawa compared to mainland Japan.


1. Agu Pork and Wagyu Beef


First, recapping from my last post, if you happen to be in Okinawa, you will know that this place, Hundred Years Old House Landlord Ufuya (百年古家大家) is a place you must visit.



While this is a historical site, it is also a place where you can fill your tummies! My family and I were very fortunate to try some of the Agu Pork and Wagyu Beef in shabu shabu style while we were here. Reservations is highly recommended if you want to try this out this type of shabu shabu cuisine at Okinawa. I am already hungry by just looking at the food pictures below…



Additionally, we saw there was another place where tourist ate noodles also with Wagyu Beef or Agu Pork. Reservations is also needed because this place is just super popular. Information about this restaurant is below.



Address: 90 Nakayama, Nago, Okinawa Prefecture 905-0004, Japan
Mapcode: 206 745 056 * 82
Phone Number: 0980-53-0280
Hours of Operations: 11:00AM – 5:00PM; 6:00PM – 10:00PM
Website: http://ufuya.com/en/reserve_form/


2. Fresh Seafood

If you take a look at the map of Japan, you will know that Okinawa is surrounded by the  ocean. This means, there are lots of fresh seafood, and that’s a win for me, because it is at Okinawa where I got to try some new types of seafood, and consumed some of my favourite fresh seafood as well!

Among the different restaurants I went to, these three stood out to me the most:

(A) 海人食堂 (UMINCHU SHOKUDO)
If you want fresh seafood from the ocean, this is the place you must go. This restaurant is located at Iye Port Terminal and it’s ran by the Iye Fisheries Cooperative Association. This restaurant does have a fast food style to it with minimal interaction with the staff. As a diner, you will first order from the vending machines. If you don’t know what you want to order, the menu is on the wall. Simply pick the number on the menu and input it in the vending machine.



After you order, the vending machine will print out some tickets. Bring these tickets to the counter where the staff prepares for the food. Then you will need to find a seat at the restaurant. Seats are first come first serve, and at lunch hours, this place is packed, so try to get there early before the lunch wave hits.



Below are two of the dishes which I took a picture of. #6 and #9 respectively.



Dish #6: Sea Food Bowl contains Okinawa specialty from the dish above are the sea grapes. They look like tiny grapes, texture feels likes fish eggs, but taste like seaweed. Some say there’s a sour taste to it, and I concur. I think, when the sea grapes pop, there’s a bit of sourness to it, but otherwise, it just taste like seaweed with a different texture! Definitely recommend all to try it!



Dish #9: Daily Sashimi Set Meal, comes with whatever is fresh from the ocean that day. Note, the miso soup also taste a little different. I can’t quite pinpoint the taste of it, but it’s on the saltier side, so try it out and let me know how you like it! The black stuff in the middle is also a type of seaweed called Mozuku Seaweed. It is said to be very healthy, but it’s often serve with a sour sauce.



Address: 33 Toya, Yomitan, Nakagami District, Okinawa Prefecture 904-0305, Japan
Mapcode: 33 792 330
Phone Number: 098-957-0225
Hours of Operations: 10:00AM – 4:00PM
Website:  yomigyo.shimatabi.jp


(B) 山原新鮮組 (YANBARU SHINSEN-GUMI)


Stumbled upon this restaurant on the way back to our accommodation from the Heart Rock. My sister previously saw some recommendation on a website, so we decided we will grab dinner here! And it did not disappoint!

Starting off with free beer and a fresh sushi platter…



Followed by some grilled seafood, and we had to grill it ourselves on this tiny coal stove! It was fun, until the clam shells cracked and the pieces of shell blew up everywhere.



Ending a hearty meal with some hot foods, some fish and beef tongue.



We didn’t need to make any reservations at this restaurant, and it was relatively empty when we were there. Maybe because it was too early? or was it getting late? Not sure, but it is north of where all the activity is, so this may probably be a lunch place as opposed to a dinner place.



Address: 1 Chome-12-2 Gusuku, Nago, Okinawa Prefecture 905-0013, Japan
Mapcode: 206 628 301
Phone Number: 0980-54-0040
Hours of Operations: 11:00AM – 4:00PM; 5:00PM – 2:00AM


(C) 第一牧志公設市場 (FIRST MAKISHI PUBLIC MARKET)
Last but not least, this place was probably the highlight for my taste buds where I ate a variety of seafood, hot and cold.

This market, First Makishi Public Market, is deemed to be Okinawa people’s kitchen. It is very similar to the markets you see in Japan, but it is air-conditioned and is very clean! How this place differs from the other markets is that there are two levels – wet market on the first floor, and the eatery is on the second floor. Diners can choose the ingredients on the first floor and then the staff will bring the food up to the eatery on the second floor which would be prepared, and cooked at 500 yen per person (for 3 dishes).

It’s only obvious that the seafood section stood out to me. Look at all the yummy goodies to be prepared!



What stood out to me the most is the yakougai (夜光貝)! And I finally got to try it! Hint: they also sell the shells in Okinawa, but if you are going to eat them already, tell the staff members there and they can clean it for you so you can take it home! As for the texture, it taste like conch.


As for what I ate, oh man, it was totally out of this world. We had two seafood platters, clams and lobster miso congee. Everything was fresh and delicious!



Address:  2-10-1, Matsuo, Naha-City, Okinawa, 900-0014, Japan
Location: Near the International Street
Phone Number: 
98-867-6560
Hours of Operation: 8:00AM – 9:00PM (Different by store)
Website: 
https://kosetsu-ichiba.com/


3. Ice Cream

Okay, so I’ve only heard of ice cream made out of cream, but never heard of ice cream made out of sea salt. In Okinawa, I guess it’s really close to the ocean, almost all their ice cream have sea salt as an ingredient. And in this section, I will talk about all the ice cream I had at Okinawa. Note: it was like 35 degrees celcius everyday, and one ice cream was definitely NOT enough.

(A) CREAMIA
On the first day, when my family went to the Hundred Years Old House Landlord Ufuya (百年古家大家) tourist attraction, we found this place: Creamia. Turns out it is a must-eat ice-cream place in Japan. There are two types of ice cream. The generic soft serves which has green tea or vanilla flavour and another soft-serve ice cream which is extremely creamy and rich in milk flavour. The second choice has an unusual cone and it taste like a cookie. Both ice creams were delicious.



(B) HAAGEN-DAZS
Some great finds in convenient stores were my favourite brand name ice cream, Haagen Dazs. What’s so special about the ones below? Oh, they are just pumpkin and Annou Imo (Okinawan sweet potato) ice cream only available in October! *While quantities last*



(C) SEA SALT ICE CREAM
I think the ice cream I had at Gala Aoiumi (Gala 青い海) was probably my favourite. Soft serve sea salt ice cream. As well as sea salt beni-imo ice cream in a cup. If you are interested about what else is there in Gala Aoiumi, feel free to go back to my previous blog post (Okinawa Adventures).




(D) BLUE SEAL ICE CREAM
Last but not least, there are many Blue Seal outlets in Okinawa, it’s practically like a Starbucks in North America. I got to try these on the last day of my trip in Okinawa. I had Okinawa sea salt ice cream and beni-imo (Okinawan sweet potato) ice cream.



4. Beni-imo Goods

So much mentioning of beni-imo above, but what is it exactly? If you haven’t figured it out from the colour and the description above, beni-imo is simply purple yam, but it has a different name because it’s Okinawa purple yam; grown and harvested from the lands of Okinawa.

I’m not sure if the benefits of beni-imo is the same as a normal purple yam. But one thing I know for sure, is that goods made out of beni-imo are delicious! Mentioned above, I talked about beni-imo ice cream, but that’s not all. Two of my other favourite beni-imo goods are:

(A) PABLO CHEESE TARTS


Ever since my previous trip to Japan, I have fallen in love with Pablo’s cheese cakes and cheese tarts. In Okinawa, aside from the regular cheese tarts you can get in stores from mainland Japan, I discovered the beni-imo cheese tarts! They were delicious!


Address: 2 Chome-8-19 Matsuo, Naha-shi, Okinawa-ken 900-0014, Japan
Location: On the International Street
Phone Number: 98-867-8260
Hours of Operation: 11:00AM – 11:00PM

(B) BENI-IMO TARTS
My next favourite beni-imo goods were the Okinawa made beni-imo tarts. I first got these at the Churaumi Aquarium as souvenirs, but then I got hungry and ate it on the car. They were delicious! So I got some more! You can eat it at room temperature, chilled in the refrigerator, or hot (baked in the toaster oven). I tried all three, and I must say, the having it after it gets re-baked in the toaster oven is the best thing ever!


If you are curious as to where to get these delicious treats, any souvenir stores will sell beni-imo tarts. They are just that good!

5. Okinawa Specialties

Before I wrap up this post, there are still a few things that didn’t quite fit the buckets above, so I’ve grouped them here. The following are all Okinawan specialties. And if you happen to be in Okinawa, you got to try these!

(A) OKINAWA BITTER MELON
I have never enjoyed bitter melon, never ever in my life had I finish a single plate of food with bitter melon. Yet, when I was in Okinawa, I not only ate dishes with bitter melon, I also drank bitter melon juice with (you probably won’t believe me) less sugar and bitter melon drinks!

For those who don’t like bitter melon, the Okinawan bitter melon is out of this world. Give it a try, it will literally change your life! (Plus it has good health benefits!!)


Bitter melon above was consumed at a restaurant in American Village and the Makishi Public Market.

(B) OKINAWA BROWN SUGAR MOCHI
For those that know me, you will know that I love to eat mochi. Found in one small vendor at the Makishi Public Market, I got my hands on this delicious black sugar mochi. It looks better than it taste. If I could go back, I would have gotten a dozen.


(C) TACO RICE
Yes, you read it right. I did type out taco rice. This dish has all the ingredients except for the taco shell, which is replaced by rice. I had it in two separate locations, and honestly, I think this was a pretty innovative dish that caters to the Americans that live on this Island. If you don’t know already, Okinawa is an American Army base, so there are lots of expats here.


Taco rice above was consumed at the AEON Mall and the American Village.

(D) HORSE SASHIMI
I TRIED IT! I’ve finally tried horse sashimi. The airbnb host recommended this restaurant and even walked us there. He ordered a few signature dishes from this Okinawan local cuisine, and oh my goodness, why have I not tried this before! It was delicious! Next time I go back, I will definitely order more!


(E) VENDING MACHINE DRINKS
So it was really hot in Okinawa, and often I need to stay hydrated. These two drinks were my favourite as they are only sold in Okinawa. Mass produced by Pokka, I highly recommend both drinks: (1) Shekwasha Drink – Okinawa lime/lemon drink and (2) Okinawa Pineapple Drink – contains from pineapples grown in Okinawa.


(F) ORION BEER
And finally, how can I not mention the Orion beers that are locally brewed? Found in all restaurants at convenient stores. I pretty much had one each night. Which one is your favourite?


And that’s all for some must try foods in Okinawa! Stay tune as I head to the big blue to find Nemo on my first ever scuba diving adventure in Okinawa, Japan!

xoxo,
D

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *