When Work ain't Easy, but you're in NZ

8:22 PM

It's almost a year since I last went to New Zealand, and returned to Canada. And since then, I have made another trip to New Zealand, and came back. I am so behind with my blog posting! But for good reason - I was literally engulfed in work!

Still working with the Kiwis right now, but I'm also jetlagged, since I was only back for 3 days, I think it's reasonable.

So where was I. I was in Wellington, New Zealand for 6 full weeks. Wellington is first the most Southerly Capital City in the World, and also deemed the windiest city in the world with  an average wind speed of 27 km/hr. This is due to its location in the Roaring Forties and its exposure to winds blowing through Cook Strait. Adding to this based on my opinion and experience, it is in the middle of New Zealand between the most northern point of the North Island and the most southern point of New Zealand. Also, there's no point of straightening your hair, or styling your hair in the morning, because as soon as you head out that door, you are 100% going to have messy hair anyways.

So while there's different working culture with the Kiwis (i.e. they are kind of chill and laid back), which meant crazy working hours for my team to compensate. I did have some time to explore the city. And here are a few photos I took while I walked, hiked, and ventured during a couple of weekends at the Windy Welly.

(1) The Beehive


(2) The Old Bank Shopping Mall


(3) Oriental Bay

(4) Skyline of Wellington


(5) Wellington Cable Car


(6) Harbour View and Unexpected Visitor




(7) All Blacks!

So, to tell you the truth, I don't understand most sports aside from like maybe basketball. But I went to watch a Rugby game in the Westpac Stadium because the best team in the world so happened to be there! It was fun and I even got to watch the hakka!! I still don't know much about rugby, but it was fun! #allblacksvsfrance






(8) Te Papa Museum

Other places I went to that I didn't really take good pictures of, but worth a visit on a rainy day (nts: it always rain in Wellington in the Winter months) is the Te Papa Museum. Here are some interesting art installations.



Specialty Food in New Zealand 

And then, of course, there were food that I've tried during my trip here that's a little different than the Northern Hemisphere!

(1) Bluff Oysters. Absolutely love these.

I will go back to eat them in a heart beat

(2) Seafood Chowder


(3) Whittakers Chocolate and Chocolate Beer?!

Whittakers Chocolate is a must (and it's a great souvenir. Chocolate Beer is a novalty thing, worth the try, but probably won't drink it again :P


(4) Tommy Millions - Pizza

For my per diem challenge, this was super worth it. Less than NZD$6.00 I can get a delicious slice of pizza that's super filling. I would go with their specials - there was a month where they had minced lamb on pizza! It was delish!


Where to stay.

There are no Marriott hotels in Wellington (that's a bummer), but my all time favourite hotel is the Bolton Hotel. This is an independent hotel off of Bolton Road. Honestly, it has the best wifi and amenities compared to other hotels. Trust! I've stayed at a lot of other ones in Wellington, and this one is by far the best.

That's all for now, stay tune to check out where I also went to during my weekends while in New Zealand! <3


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *