Day Trip in Bath

11:01 AM

Happy Saturday!

Another work week has come and gone, and man was it busy! Left off last week about my hustle in London, my UK trip was followed by a day trip at Bath. Boarding on the train at London Paddington at 8:00AM, I arrived at Bath just shy of 10AM, and this is where the 'relaxing' adventures begin.

The Roman Bath
Bath is a relatively small cute town where you can pretty much walk everywhere to. Getting off the train at Bath Spa Station, I quickly got to the famous Roman Bath. It is recommended to go to the Roman Bath early in the day because tours usually occur in the afternoon which makes the Roman Bath very crowded and not quite enjoyable.


I did spent a couple of hours here taking lots of photos, but there's also a free audio guide tour that talks about many different aspects of this natural hot spring bath and its history which makes it a little bit more exciting and interesting!



This bath is no longer used today and it's strictly for visiting purposes. I mean, I don't think I really want to go into the green waters to begin with. But because of Bath's history, there are a lot of bath and spas around the area for locals and other tourists.


What you see here is only a glimpse of the excavated of the historic Roman Spa. Apparently there are still efforts ongoing to find out in a larger extent of how this Roman Spa was like back in the day - it was probably stunning!

Bath Abbey
After a quick lunch, my friends and I made our way to the Bath Abbey, which is perpendicular to the Roman Bath; how convenient! I visited Bath on a Sunday, so the church was closed for service in the morning with only opening hours between 1:00 - 2:30PM and 4:00 - 5:00PM.


I really like how this church is really bright in the inside unlike a lot of other churches in Europe. So it makes it less spooky, knowing that the floors we are walking on are actually graves.


I also just adore the simple yet intricate design of the ceiling - just stunning.


Mayor of Bath Honorary Guide Tour
Aside from the Roman Bath and the Bath Abbey which is situated very close to each other, on the peripheral of this courtyard, there is a lot more stunning buildings and rich history. The best way to know about the history of Bath is through locals. Bath offers an free tour  (http://www.bathguides.org.uk/) for all tourists and locals actually volunteer to talk about the history behind Bath and their beautiful city.

From this tour, we roamed through the streets of Bath...


... where I learned about the history of Bath's buildings and the difference between the old and newer buildings back in the day.



Found out that most buildings in Bath actually mimics Italian architecture.


Went to see the Royal Crescent built during the hype of Bath spas. The richest area back in the day.


Visited the Circus with more than 250 years of history.


And end off by Pulteney Bridge.


The tour was amazing, and I learned tons of history of Bath alone. Weather was surprisingly amazing that day too, which made it even more enjoyable.

Until next time, as I head off for Edinburgh! Stay tuned :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *