5 must-try foods and drinks in Portugal

5:21 PM


Taking a break from all the sightseeing in Portugal, in this post, I am going to talk about the must-try foods and drinks when visiting Portugal. While my list below may not be close to being the most comprehensive one, it’s some of my all time favourites when I was there. So follow me, as I describe my foody adventure in Portugal.

1. Pastel de nata

Well-known snack and/or dessert in Portugal. I had devoured tons of these delicious pastries while I was in Lisbon. It’s everywhere! But the best ones is at Pasteis de Belem. This pastry shop was first mentioned in one of my previous post, Beautiful day at Belem, but since I’m talking about food now, I have to talk about it again here.

Pasteis de Belem (http://pasteisdebelem.pt/) is one of the oldest pastry store that sells pastel de nata in Lisbon and there was a line up as early as 9AM when I was there. But don’t let the line scare you, there are about 400 seats in this pastry shop. So if you aren’t in a hurry, have a seat and enjoy some delicious goodies!

Located right beside Mosteiro dos Jeronimos, you cannot miss this crucial stop to try the best pastel de nata in the world!



Looking at this image still makes me droll.

2. Fresh Seafood

For those that don’t know me well, seafood is a staple food of mine. I love seafood, and I can eat it anywhere, anytime. Portugal also has an abundance of seafood because it is right off of the Atlantic Ocean. Therefore, most seafood in Portugal are fresh and delicious even with minimal seasoning.

While in Portugal, I visited many restaurants that serve seafood, and below are some of my favourites.

i. Lisbon – Ribadouro

This restaurant, Cervejaria Ribadouro (http://www.cervejariaribadouro.pt/) was highly recommended by one of the stores I was shopping at. It has the best seafood in town. And my favourite dish was the platter of seafood that had a number of juicy shrimp and countless amount of shellfish.

ii. Lisbon – Panorama

The second restaurant that I would recommend is Panorama (http://www.panorama-restaurante.com/pt), inside the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel and Spa. This restaurant gives diners a stunning view of Lisbon. Unfortunate for me though, the day I went there, it was raining, but I think I still got a good night shot of it, what do you think?


My favourite dish at this restaurant would be the giant grilled shrimp. Trust me, you have to try this one!


The shrimp, as shown above, was as big as my hand!! Bon appetite!

iii. Lisbon – Darwin’s Cafe

Darwin’s Cafe (http://www.darwincafe.com/) was also mentioned in my post Beautiful day at Belem. Darwin’s Cafe, one of a higher end restaurant just close by Belem.


It had fancy decor, and the food was fantastic. Unfortunately the patio wasn’t open when I was there, but I bet it will be beautiful just sitting there enjoying the breeze from the river beside it.


My favourite dish here was the grilled octopus, the mash sweet potato adds a nice touch to my taste buds.

iv. Sintra – Pateo do Garrett

During my day trip at Sintra and Cascais, I visited this very cute family ran restaurant, Pateo do Garrett (http://www.pateodogarrett.com/pt/) with amazingly delicious food. I sat in a somewhat indoor patio, and got amazing service. The food was fantastic.

v. Porto – Tapabento

Honestly, the seafood feast does not stop. I found this gem when I was walking around Porto, very close to Sao Bento Station. I was super hungry, and decide to look for ideas to eat, and this tiny, family ran restaurant, Tapabento (http://www.tapabento.com/), was phenomenal.


First off, the menu looked like a newspaper with tapas and meals listed in them.


And then, there was these, starting with my favourite kinds of seafood: oysters with black caviar…


…beef caparccio…


… razor clams, that I haven’t had for the longest time…


… amazingly delicious fish soup, to die for…


…seafood risotto…


… and duck breast to end off the night.


And it was delicious! Are you craving for any of these dishes right now? Because I’m!

vi. Matosinhos – 5 Oceanos

Last but not least, while you are in Porto, and if you have time, do try to make a trip to Matosinhos. It is about a 20 minute ride from Porto and it’s a coast off of the Atlantic Ocean.


Here is where I had the most amazing grilled fish. Recommended by the hotel concierge, I went to 5 Oceanos (http://www.5oceanos.pt/).


Fish was fresh, grilled immediately after it is caught.


The grilled fish was delicious!

3. Gelato

Next up is my favourite dessert in Europe, gelatos. I only found one place called Santini (http://www.santini.pt/) and it was amazing. They have the best strawberry gelatos. Highly recommend it if you never tried it.


Only found in two cities while I was in Portugal: Cascais and Lisboa. I got mine while I was visiting Cascais.

4. Port Wine Chocolate

Finally getting to the climax of this foody adventure. Presenting the most well-know items in Portugal: Port Wine. But before I get into that fun stuff, I found this store while researching for things to do in Portugal, that sell Port Wine Chocolates – best of both worlds – chocolate and alcohol


Also mentioned in my post Rainy day in Chiado, Arcadia Chocolate Boutique (http://www.arcadia.pt/) is the place where you can pick up some delicious sweets in Lisboa.


But that’s not all, this store is found everywhere in Porto! So keep an eye out for them if you happened to be there!

5. Vinho do Porto

Now, we can’t end this post without mentioning Portugal’s infamous Vinho do Porto, also known as Port Wine. Port wine (or Port for short) is a Portugese fortified wine produced exclusively in the Douro Valley and the port wineries where the fortification takes place, is found right at the Gaia hillside in Porto.

Fortified wines are made by adding a portion of grape spirits, brandy, to the wine at some point during the production process. Because the fortification process takes place before the wine has finished fermenting, the wine retains some of the natural sweetness of the grapes, making it rich, round and smooth on the palate.

Since Port can be fortified differently, there is also a variety of them available with its own flavours from the intense berry fruit flavours of a Reserve or a Late Bottled Vintage to the rich mellowness of an Aged Tawny or the sublime complexity of a Vintage Port.

Ports are usually served towards the end of the meal with cheese as a dessert wine or as an after dinner drink. However, white Port can also be enjoyed before a meal. I visited two of the many wineries while I was at Porto (1) Taylor’s Port Cellars (http://taylor.pt/en/visit-taylors/port-cellars/)


and (2) Ferreira Cellars (http://eng.sograpevinhos.com/visitas/cave/6).


For other Port Wineries that you may want to visit while you are in Porto, click here.

Based on what I’ve tasted during my trip, I would prefer the Late Bottle Vintage at Taylor’s, which is not quite a vintage yet (like the one on the left, but still very very great on my palette). However, I truly believe that it is different based on your personal preference.


What’s your favourite Port? Share yours in comments below. And that’s a wrap up to the 5 must try foods and drinks while you visit Portugal! Bon appetite & cheers!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *